A well-landscaped property can add 20% to your home’s value, and has an average return of 100-200% at the time of sale. Even if you’re not thinking of selling now, summer is a great time to spruce up your landscape and make it a place you enjoy spending time.
Keep your yard in top shape if your home is for sale. A potential buyer may overlook your home if they can’t see past overgrown shrubs and weeds!
6 Helpful Tips to help your yard stand out:
- Make your square or rectangular yard look more spacious by planting flower beds one ash corner. This will make the centre of your yard appear larger. Place taller plants toward the back of your flower beds; that way they won’t overshadow smaller plants, and you’ll create the illusion of depth in your garden.
- Revitalize sparse hedges and shrubs by covering their roots and applying fertilizer. Shrubs may become thin when the topsoil from around the roots washes away or diminishes over time.
- Apply a thin layer of mulch a few inches from the base of the tree. Many people make the mistake of mounding mulch around the base, which may attract pests.
- Create privacy with large shrubs or trellises covered with climbing vines.
- Use a simpler palette of no more than three colours that complement your home’s colour scheme. This ties the space together and improves curb appeal.
- Focus on the foliage of the plant. Choose plants that have leaves in a variety of shapes, textures and patterns. If you want your landscape to bloom year round, choose plants that bloom at different times of the year.